Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"The Big Picture Story Bible"


"The Big Picture Story Bible" was one of the gifts we received when Cora was born. While I am not privy to the many children's bibles that exist, I must say that this is an excellent one. It gives a broad sweep of God's plan of redemption. This children's bible properly maintains the centrality of Christ to redemptive history and captures the drama of many of the OT stories by keeping little ears alert to Christ's relationship to these great OT characters. There is even a chapter that explains how Christ fulfilled the promises of the OT. This book brings the bible together in a way that I did not understand until seminary.

Sarah and I are already reading the bible to Cora because, at the suggestion of a former pastor, we do not want Cora to remember a time when we did not read scripture with her. For parents looking for a children's bible, I highly recommend this one. My only quibble is that the illustrator put too many white people in the pictures. I am not sure that the Ancient Middle East had too many redheads running around--although Esau was "red." Otherwise, I really enjoy the illustrator's artwork, especially the sly fox that seems to always make an appearance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It does our hearts good to know Cora is hearing the Word. She is truly blessed by loving parents.

g&p