Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dr. Jones, Dr. Jones!

Saw the latest Indy film. Not so good. Too many old man jokes--in fact, when I first heard there were plans for another Indiana Jones movie (way back during the summer of 2000), there were references to Harrison Ford being in a wheelchair for the film. The writers perceived the public's awareness that perhaps Harrison Ford was getting a bit old and overcompensated with reference after reference to Ford's age. Also, some of the staple ruins and labyrinth scenes seemed like they belonged in the 1985 Goonies, not the 2008 Indiana Jones.

I think my biggest problem with the movie is that I am now 28 years old and not 10--the age when I saw The Last Crusade. As a kid, I loved these films. Just last year Sarah and I watched them again and were pretty disappointed. Some movies--like Flight of the Navigator and Gremlins--are best left stored in childhood memories. I guess my problem with the film is that it came out about 15 years too late.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Nothing here on Dr Jones, but I just came across your blog. Glad to see you're getting something productive done. :) Hope y'all are well.

Ben

Casey Shutt said...

Thanks, Ben. I have been enjoying your blog, and realizing how much I miss the benefits of the academic community (being "on-campus as opposed to off). I enjoyed reading about the trip to Wright's pad.

Jennifer Hawthorne said...

So true. My shock came when taking Jennifer and her family to my favorite restaurant growing up (one I had not been to in 20 years) -- Casa Bonita. I guess not everything gets better with age :)

Wren